WELCOME

I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...

WELCOME TO THE FEITNER ADVENTURE!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Blank Canvas

Our previous home was a brand new townhouse.  It was small, but it was OURS.  We were the first people to make memories there.  

We pushed ourselves wayyy to hard to get it painted before we moved in.  It took three days from 8 am till around midnight with lots of help!  I think the first day there were ten people painting.  By the end of it I was dragging - in retrospect we now know that all the paint fumes were displacing the oxygen, and that's why I had a hard time "staying awake" while there - I was struggling to stay conscious.

But our current house had two previous owners.  Two sets of people who left their mark.  I've already shared with you the murals.  But they also left ugly window treatments - and nasty, light fixtures ...



... peeling wallpaper that was obviously chosen by a woman wayyyy older than me - and weird light switch covers ...



... and probably 50 ugly garden gnomes.

We've been here just over 10 weeks - and THIS week we're finally starting to make it ours.  We've unpacked and scattered pretty things here and there, but it still doesn't feel like my home.  Today, a childhood friend drove to town (with her 3 year old daughter) to help empty Alex's room in preparation for painting.

Finally - a blank canvas ...






... well almost.  After we primer over the spackle and paint sample spots later tonight, then it'll be a blank canvas.

(Since those photos were taken, Aaron's removed the blinds, closet doors, shelving unit in the closet, outlet covers, etc.)

I can't remove the pull-down access to the attic, and we aren't changing the light/fan yet.  But tomorrow we start painting.  Thanks to the "approval" of some Facebook friends, I've selected his new bedding.  I'm still looking for window treatments.  I have some "projects" in mind for the room which involve lots of wood, paint and power tools.  Those are gonna have to wait a month or two - till we buy the power tools.  I also have an idea for original wall art (involving the help of my college roommates who were art majors - but I haven't asked them yet, so shhhh, don't tell).  But at least in my mind's eye the room's beginning to come together.

I'm super excited!  We're finally starting to turn this new house into OUR HOME.

3 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Congrats on starting the process! I'm so excited for you!!!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

By the way, you know I'm all about revamping light fixtures so I will be uber impressed if you can do something with that beauty you've got going on there! Wow. That's all I can say...

Emily said...

Can't wait to see it! BTW, I am so happy for you.... just in case I didn't tell you that, since I admitted my selfish feelings regarding you leaving. :-)