WELCOME

I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...

WELCOME TO THE FEITNER ADVENTURE!

Friday, January 9, 2009

In Honor of Eva G. Schock

On the morning of January 9, 2008, my only remaining grandparent, Eva G. Schock passed away. She was a young 94. My Grandma was the most sincere, generous person I have ever known. Her love of family and friends, as well as her personal relationship with Christ were to be admired and emulated. Since I lived just a few miles from her house, and wasn't employed (I'm a stay-at-home mom), I was privileged to spend a lot of time with her in the last couple years of her life. Alex and I were also able to visit with her almost daily in the hospital during the final week and a half of her life. I respected my Grandma's wisdom and experience, and she is greatly missed. In honor of her memory, I'd like post one of her favorite poems.

"The Man in the Looking Glass"

When you get what you want in your struggle for self,
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to a mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn't your father or mother or wife
Whose judgement you must pass,
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

Some people might think you're a straight-shooting chum
And call you a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.

He's the fellow to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear to the end.
And you've passed your most dangerous test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway for years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass.

Author Unknown

No comments: