I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...


Thursday, January 22, 2009

Casualties of War

Last week illness struck the Feitner household.

Alex was the first casualty - vomiting and uncontrollable diarrhea that lasted a week. Twice during the week we thought he was over it, but they were false alarms. Poor kid. Luckily he's just fine now (although two pounds lighter).

Next it struck Harrison - but his only lasted about 12 hours.

Next Aaron was blindsided by this crippling bug. It hit him hard. It hit him fast. I think he's okay now (we haven't actually discussed it, though). I'm not positive ... but ... the Imodium and Kaopectate bottles are finally starting to build up a slight layer of dust on them.

And then ... without warning ... this crafty bug pulled together its top military strategists, and realized that the best way to bring this family to its knees in submission was to attack MOMMY. 'Cause once mommy is sick everything grinds to a halt! Just five hours of my first "attack," I phoned a girlfriend (it was 2 am) to come watch the kids. Aaron had to take me to the ER. I'll spare you the specifics, but I had lost enough fluid that I was in danger of some pretty serious heart problems - because of electrolyte imbalance and dehydration. The ER staff kindly gave me a room with its own bathroom, and hooked me up to an iv that dripped in VERY slowly to make sure I didn't develop cardiac overload (not quite sure what that entails, but it didn't sound good). I also took some pills to replace some of the stuff that my blood work said was too low. I was released by mid-morning, and my mother came to town later that day to take over the house and kids. I spent three days on the couch (that is when I wasn't visiting Mr. John). Finally today (Thursday) I feel almost like myself again - and mother's planning to leave tomorrow.

My goal was to write a post once a day for January. But this week I didn't have the energy to type one let alone think of what to say. So, guess I have some make up work to do. Not tonight though. It's late and I'm headed to bed. But for now - at least you know why I was so silent this week. And even though it was a long, tough final battle. The Feitners have finally won the war!

No comments: