Several months ago I was starting to get discouraged. You know the cycle - one discouraging thought leads to another, and if you don't "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5b), then before you know it you've spiraled downward into depression. So, I decided it was time for a personal intervention. I looked up lots of verses that had special significance with my health problems, but more importantly with the promise that God gave me that morning last February - the one that said that "this will end." I typed the verses and posted them above the light switches around the house. Tacky? Perhaps. But the constant encouragement I received each time I turned a light on or off - it was remarkable!
- Let us hold unswervingly to the hope that we profess, for he who promised is faithful. (Hebrews 10:23)
- Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1)
- Being confident in this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it onto completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Philippians 1:6)
- "I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." (Matthew 17:20
- I believe! Help me with my doubts. (Mark 9:24)
- "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
- There hath not failed one word of all his good promise. (1 Kings 8:56)
- But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you. (2 Thessalonians 3:3)
- I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done. (Psalm 118:17)
My Bible verses are still posted around the house. It's been probably 6 months since I hung them up, and they're still giving me daily encouragement. Do you need some encouragement today? What are you doing to make sure you get it?