WELCOME

I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...

WELCOME TO THE FEITNER ADVENTURE!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Living Life in 3D

As we begin the trek into yet another holiday season, we've been thinking about our family traditions - evaluating the ones we already have (what to tweak, what to keep, what to pitch), and deciding what ones we'd like to initiate this year. It's only the beginning of November, so this week isn't when we should be trimming the tree while listening to Christmas music and sipping hot cocoa (we're keeping that tradition). Nor is it the week that we send out this year's 150+ holiday cards (though we have already started them).

Those of you who know me well, know that I'm horrible at waiting for special things like opening a birthday gift (only two more weeks to wait!) or pulling out my collection of Christmas music (this year I waited all the way till October to listen to my first cd!). Since I find my greatest joys in making and reliving good memories, it follows that I couldn't wait to put into practice some of the new traditions we've decided to add to our family.

Being that I love Christmas so much, I've already bought a new Christmas movie this year. There's no way that I can wait till after Thanksgiving to watch it, so I decided it was time to start one of our newly decided traditions.
So, last night was the first monthly "Feitner Family Movie Night." We watched The Polar Express - in 3D no less! It was amazing! The movie itself was pretty good - last night was my first time watching it. But that wasn't what was so great.

Yesterday was also declared "Jammies Day." In the morning we told Alex that IF he took a nap that afternoon (time flies by so quickly - he's only 3 1/2 and it's already IF he takes a nap, not WHEN he takes one!), then after dinner we'd watch a movie and have popcorn. Yesterday was the first time in quite a while that getting him to take a nap didn't involve any whining. As soon as he woke up from it he rushed downstairs and asked if it was "popcorn movie time." We had homemade pizza for dinner, and the whole time he kept asking if it was popcorn time yet. Time was finally on his side, and we grabbed the movie. We turned off the lights and put on the funny glasses, and memories were made.



In the darkness we shared so much more than just the popcorn that kept being passed back and forth. We each brought our own perspective of life to that couch. I felt truly blessed to share simultaneously all of my loves - Christmas, movies, and my three men. Aaron's since remarked on Alex's expressions of awe and wonder as he watched a train (his favorite thing in the whole world) taking a boy just like him to see Santa.

We don't know which other traditions will be added in the near future. What they are doesn't matter as much as the fact that they are. You can lose so much in life - a job, a loved one - but no one can destroy your memories. I'm so glad that we're making lots of them as individuals and as a family.

No comments: