I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...


Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Restoration !!!

For those of you who don't receive my email updates, or haven't clicked on the link on this page to my other blog, or haven't read on Facebook, or haven't heard through the grapevine .....

I'm being readmitted to the ICU in Pittsburgh one week from today - next Tuesday. I will be switched from the continual iv medication that hangs in the black bag that's always around my waist to a different continual iv medication that will possibly hang in the same black bag. The new drug I will be switching to is MUCH easier to use, so from that standpoint, this change is a good thing. However, I've been really, really nervous about going back and facing that same ICU room where life felt so out-of-control 14 months ago.

For the past month or two I have been getting progressively more and more tired, and my heart has begun to periodically hurt (literally) again. Fourteen months ago I was told that I was in right-side heart failure, and this past December I was told that was NO LONGER TRUE! Praise God! God healed my heart enough that though it was still enlarged and the pressures were still too high in it, it wasn't failing anymore! So, for me to begin to have chest pain again was NOT a good sign! Last week we (and my doctor) decided that it's time to make the medicine transition in hopes that my body would respond "better" to the new drug. So, we began to prepare for the upcoming ICU visit.

Yesterday the doctor's office phoned and we decided that I'd be admitted next Tuesday. This left this current week for us to finish up projects and tie up loose ends beforehand. No one (but God) knows if when I'm discharged (hopefully by the end of next week), if I will be feeling great and rearing to go, or mostly house-bound for a month or two. So, this has put a lot of pressure on us to get things ready "just in case." A bunch of friends willingly and happily have stepped up to the plate and are helping with lots of those projects - and we are incredibly grateful!

This morning I went to the Ladies Bible Study at our church, and was huffing/puffing my way through the halls, praying that I wouldn't pass out and kicking myself for not bringing the oxygen in with me (it was in the car). After the worship time, one of my friends asked if I minded if the leadership team prayed specifically for me. I was more than willing - especially because of my fear of going back to the ICU and facing it again. So a bunch of ladies (maybe 10?) surrounded me, anointed me with oil, and started to pray all at the same time.

During the prayer I told God that I've gotten the message - it's time to change to the other medicine, and nothing's going to make me change my mind on that. He's given me peace in that decision! But, is it really necessary that I stay this tired? I prayed that He'd restore my energy levels (and breathing) to where I was a month or two ago - when I could get on the treadmill and live my life without sheer exhaustion. As the ladies prayed, I felt all the fear leave, and my breathing became easier too!

After Bible Study was done (and a friend took my kids home with her to give me a break), I had errands I needed to run - things I wanted done before being admitted. One of them required a trip to the mall. Of course I ended up parking on the wrong side (though I did pass Starbucks and decided to get me a little something-something!) - and had to walk the length of the mall to and from the store. I walked it without stopping - without huffing and puffing - without turning beat red - without thinking I was going to pass out because my oxygen levels were dropping too low!!!! I then ran two more errands also without incident! I still feel strong enough and energetic enough to conquer the world!

I came home and was SO EXCITED that I've been restored to where I was several months ago, that I HAD to tell someone - anyone - everyone! I am still going to be admitted next Tuesday and switch medicines. But I'm NOW doing it because we feel it's God's will, and because it will be easier to use on a day-to-day basis - NOT because I'm so sick that I need to! PRAISE GOD!

Thank you ladies for praying! Thank you, Gina for suggesting the prayer session! Yesterday you had asked me what you could do to help - YOU HAVE HELPED - MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW! And thank you to the other(s) who felt the same burning need for me to be prayed for in a special way this morning. God's laid me on so many people's hearts lately - and I am incredibly humbled by this - and incredibly thankful for the results!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Praise God! I'll be praying for your transition.