WELCOME

I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...

WELCOME TO THE FEITNER ADVENTURE!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In Case of FIRE


It's always good to have a plan of action set up in case the unexpected happens - a fire, a national disaster (like Katrina), or something else equally as dire and devastating. So, I've been thinking lately, what would our plan be?

Several years ago Aaron and I chose a "meeting place" if we ever get separated during an event like that. It's a place we both know well (and how to get to without a map), but isn't too close to our house either. It's a relative's farm that has access to well water, wood heat (if necessary), a stocked pantry, lots of blankets and candles, a generator, a garden, and lots to keep the kids occupied and happy.

But what if the crisis is a fire in our house? Besides the people, what would we try to grab on the way out (if we had that much time)? What practical things, what sentimental things, what "necessary" things?

As for necessary things, it would have to be my medicine back-up. If something goes wrong with the iv cartridge or pump it's connected to, then I only have about 5 minutes to change to the back-up we always have with us. If that doesn't get done in time, my lungs could collapse and my heart would stop. So, getting my back-up out of the fridge (and an extra set to mix) would be imperative! During the year I've been connected to this continuous iv, this has already happened once. Thank God I was protected while we were scrambling to start the back-up. My purse and cell phone would be very helpful too, though I guess if it was a matter of life and death, I could do without them.

As for practical items, I guess a coat and shoes for each of us. We have the originals or a copy of all important papers in our safety deposit box. Some things would be helpful to get from the house, like my checkbook register. But I guess could do without it. Maybe it should just be kept in my purse all the time (currently it isn't). I'll have to think about that.

As for sentimental things, this is probably the hardest category (and least likely to have time to grab on the way out the door). I have a sentimental attachment to quite a lot of our things. My biggest is our photos. Several years ago we finally got a digital camera, and most of the photos I really want to keep are already printed out and in (or ready to go in) albums. But our laptop has them all saved on it still. So, the laptop is what I'd grab. Furniture can be replaced. Well, there is no replacement for things like my Great-Great-Uncle's roll-top desk that sits in our living room. But we could buy another desk. But photos - and memories.... I'm a memory-oriented person. That's something I'd grieve if I lost. Periodically we back-up our computer onto an external hard drive. Maybe I should keep a copy of our photo files in the Safety Deposit box. That way we wouldn't lose them.

Do you have a plan of action - a place you'd meet if something tragic happened? Have you talked with your kids about how to get out of the house if there's a fire? Do they know more than one escape route in case one is blocked? No one ever WANTS that sort of thing to happen. But, you know what they say: Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance (thanks, Warren!)!

No comments: