WELCOME

I'm a full-time wife and mom of two adorable boys. When I'm not busy trying to keep up with them I enjoy photography, traveling, planning parties and a little bit of reading.

In February of 2008 I was diagnosed with an incurable terminal lung illness, though God promised me a full and complete healing. While we wait for His timing, we're taking it one day at a time, and standing in awe of how God's using all of this for His glory. The tough road we've traveled has given us a new perspective on the fragility of life. Memories are more important to us than ever before. The goal of this blog is to share some of our family life - the ups and downs, the joys and probably some of the pains as well. It's mostly meant as a personal journal of sorts, but you're welcome to share in it. We'd like to take this opportunity to say ...

WELCOME TO THE FEITNER ADVENTURE!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Small Steps Toward Stupid

This is a shout-out to a post that I read today from someone else's blog. It's something that I can totally relate to - I'm pretty sure we all can. It's actually something I've been thinking about lately in my own life. Check out Jon's insight on "Discounting our small steps toward stupid" here. He explains the topic so much better than I could ever. For a little info on this guy, this blog is being turned into a book, being published by Zondervan - coming out later this year, I think.

My own small steps toward stupid include:

Eating constantly. This doesn't mean that my actual food intake necessarily increases (though sometimes it does), it's just that I'm constantly munching. I try to fill any void in my life, or concern, or stress ... with food. It's a bad habit that started when I was a pre-teen. This is one small step that actually happened when I was pregnant with Harrison, and I lost weight during that time. My concern was how out-of-shape (read: sick) I felt. And it's started up again lately over a stress/concern that's going on in our life. But this time I'm not losing weight.

Cursing in my mind. I've never been a big curser. When I was growing up I was punished for even saying "darn" or "heck" because they were substitutes for worse words. But I find each time I start slacking on my alone time with God, the first indicator I have is that curse words start to pop up in my mind. I rarely verbalize them. But when I stub my toe, or someone cuts me off in traffic I hear the words in my head.

The quality of tv/movies I watch. Generally my tv (if turned on at all) is on a cartoon channel. But on the rare chance that it's my turn to pick the channel, it's generally HGTV or FoodNetwork. But when I'm starting to take steps toward stupid, I find that I watch more trash - murder/crime shows, rated R movies, etc. When I'm where I should be spiritually, those types of shows/movies simply bore me.

So, now you know some of my steps toward stupid. So, if you notice that I'm starting to walk in that direction, please point it out to me. Often it's easier to brush it aside if no one but me notices, or comments on it.

What are some of your steps?

No comments: